Thursday, February 8, 2007

if only I could return to India

Today an Indian recruiter called me for a job (at the place where I already work - this happens all the time, I don't understand why recruiters can't seem to actually READ the resume's they have before calling you). I let him ramble on because I just wanted to hear him talk....

let me explain...

a few years ago I worked at a company and built a whole team of people in India from no one to over 225 people in less than two years. Since I'd had the team from the beginning and being that I love to learn about other cultures, my relationship with the managers there grew to be personal enough that we'd send packages, birthday greetings, and such. I was thrilled to actually be able to go there to train them on new project management software in person. I got to see the "real India" - their homes, meet their family's, be taken sight seeing. Then, I sadly became one of those stories you read about where someone grows a team and trains them and then gets laid off. Worked myself right out of a job. The ironic part is that the company was too stupid to figure out where the teams loyalty was after all that time - 9 of the 11 managers had left w/in six months of them letting me go. I still email and talk to a few of them - it's always wonderful when they call me.

I very much miss India. I loved it there and if it weren't for my kids, I probably would have stayed there much longer.

You've never had a mango until you've had one in India during mango season...fresh mango juice for breakfast every day for nearly a month- yummmm.

and with that, I'm adding my India-inspired art which was also published in Somerset Studio(the background is from one of the papers I'd read every day with breakfast, there's an actual stamp one of my team members saved for me, and part of my customs slip too).

No comments: