Monday, February 11, 2008

Photo Painting and winter seed sowing aka What's Going on at My House

Today I went to the art store in Henrietta and got a big (bigger than I planned, for sure) set of Marshall's photo paints to paint some black and white photos.

Here's my palette:

Here's how the dining room table looks while I'm working on some photos. Yep, that's the b/w rose one I took the other day and the sled one that's on my other blog. I should have been working in my studio, but spreading out on the dining room table was a good change of scenery.
I also got a 5x7 of the sled picture and I was working on that too.
I really, really dislike oil paints. They are way too "smushy". However, I had one of those art experiences with painting these photos where you completely lose track of time and are totally absorbed in it. It was awesome and I plan on making a LOT more of my photos black and white and painting them up. I'll scan the photos when I'm done - right now they are all drying.



What else is going on when it is like 8 here ?! Look at the forecast :(



Well ! we are doing a little winter seed sowing. I've never done this before, but essentially you sow your seeds in containers and put them outside when it's cold. Then, let nature take it's course and see when they sprout. Apparently, the seeds are supposed to be smart enough to know when it's a good time.

There are many, many more trays, but the other picture came out terrible.

We are going to plop these ones outside and the other ones we are going to put in my new (unheated) greenhouse and see what happens without them covered. I feel like a mad scientist (or perhaps biologist, eh?) I got ummm hundreds of packets of seeds from my friend who's job it is to test the germination ... so, it is like a double blind test since you're never sure how well old seeds will germinate anyhow. Very exciting stuff.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of photo paints. at the risk of sounding stupid ... how do they work? do you really just paint over the picture with it? is it cakey or slippery?