Wednesday, January 16, 2008

What I'm Reading

I was going to start a post about "what I'm reading"....and then I realized that usually by the time I start reading something, I've finished it that night. As serendipity would have it, I was going through my (terribly disorganized mess of) favorites and thought I'd check in with my friend Bev and see what was new with her. By the way, don't get too jealous, but the header on her blog is from MY journal ! it is sooooo gorgeous in person and I'm so thrilled to have it.
On her site, there's a link to 'how fast do you read'.
My results:
You read between 850 - 900 words per minute. Virtual Speed Reader. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read.
I knew I was a fast reader, but I didn't think I read that fast !
What I've polished off in the last week:
Robert Parker Now and Then Finally, another Spenser novel. I much prefer those. I am probably pretty close to owning all of his books in hardcover, mostly first edition
Janet Evanovich Plum Lucky I love Janet Evanovich - she's easily my favorite author. To be fair, her books are not exactly difficult reading but they always make me laugh out loud. I have every one of her Pum Series books in first edition except one. I also am the proud owner of a personally signed book from her that says "Happy Birthday Deann" : )
I currently keep going back to Kaleidoscope ideas + projects to spark your creativity by Suzanne Simanaitis. This book is much more fabulous than I thought it would be when I bought it in a fit of disappointment that I actually owned all of the altered art books that were in stock at my local Borders...and I had a coupon... no coupon should go unused ! I talked myself into a bit thinking that if I really didn't like it, I could always pass it on for a secret sister swap in one of my yahoo groups. Well, no way it is getting passed on now !
This book is not my ususual "eye candy" sort of book, even though it is filled with wonderful pictures. I am not one of those people who buy a book with projects in it and then replicate them down to worrying that I don't have exactly the same stamp or color of paint.... usually I buy them for inspiration and the instructions are secondary, if used at all.
There is one section in the book called "That Voice Inside Your Head" that I find especially goood. It's difficult to summarize, but essentially it's about how as an artist you can be really hard on yourself and how to over come that and go with the ebb and flow of creativity. It says there is a magic word to help you - Nevertheless! as in, I don't feel like making something, nevertheless, I am going up to my studio and just play with my paints. Or, I feel stuck and I can't do anything creative and my muse has run off with someone else, nevertheless, I am going to give myself a break and today might not be the day to be creative.
I've had the luxury of spending a lot more time surfing blogs lately. Perhaps I am looking for the elusive inspiration, but I've found a whole lot of really good ones. I know a blog is really good when I go back and read all of the archives! The new list:
Ali Edwards - her post for pick a word for the year really speaks to me. I'm picking "nevertheless"
My Romantic Home - reminds me of myself and how much I miss thrifting and the inspiration it brings.
snipHits (or misses) aka Geek Betty - I know I ended up here by looking at other 365 bloggers (um, not doing a self portrait every day though!). Her writing is superb and fascinating and I really wish she'd get a book deal. Think Augusten Borroughs (Running with Scissors) - that's what it reminds me of. A fascinating person and not just art.
This is a long post for me and no real art either ! I'm really going to try and put more of myself into this blog than just art....I have other addictions ; )

No comments: